Table of Content
Magic Circle Crochet
Table of Contents
What is Magic Circle Crochet
The magic circle crochet refers to a crochet technique that starts with a loop instead of a chain. A normal crochet ring, which begins with a chain for creating the circle, has a hole at its center. But the adjustable starting loop of the magic crochet ring allows you to pull the thread so that there is no hole at the center of the circle in the beginning round.
The normal crochet ring is not suitable for making hats because of the hole in the center. But, the magic circle is an ideal pattern for making attractive hats and beanies as well as for making decorative crochet flowers and hearts. It is also very easy to learn how to work this crochet pattern. This article gives basic directions for making this crochet circle.
How to Crochet a Magic Circle
The traditional method of beginning a crochet circle with a chain requires you to slip a stitch to form the ring. This results into the hole at the center of the finished project. It prevents you from using this technique for making certain hand-knitted articles. The adjustable loop of the magic crochet circle is one of its main benefits.
It requires time and patience to master the process of making this crochet ring yourself. Given below is a step-by-step instruction for you to learn the procedure:
- To begin working the pattern, you need to choose a suitable yarn and make a small loop at its end. You should leave a tail approximately three inches ling.
- Hold the ‘joining point’ of your loop, where the 2 strands of your yarn overlap, between the forefinger and thumb of your left hand.
- Then, the crochet hook needs to be inserted from the front to back to draw up one loop. Next, you need to slip your hook into the loop so that you can crochet over the top of the loop and also the yarn tail.
- The next step is to draw up one loop for working the first sc (single crochet).
- You need to make one single crochet before crocheting again over the loop and then the yarn tail.
- Repeat this process until you reach the required number of single crochet for working the first round. This number depends on the pattern you are using.
- Once the above stage is complete, you need to pull the yarn tail, taking it between the thumb and forefinger of your left hand. Make sure to draw the crochet circle closed tightly around the center.
- Now, crochet into the very first crochet stitch of your first round for beginning the second round. Continue working according to the instructions for the pattern you are using.
Practice the above steps to become a skilled magic crochet circle maker. It is not very difficult for those who know the traditional method of making a crochet ring. You can use this amazing technique to work wonderful unique patterns for making sweaters, scarves, blankets and even various accessories.
Magic Circle Crochet Pictures
Here are some images of various attractive patterns made using this crochet circle.